I was looking for a traditional sit down restaurant, but decided to stay and try this place since it has many good reviews. And the service was just average. My son enjoyed his beef fajitas, but he is thirteen and will eat a shoe... an unseasoned shoe, as his food tasted bland to me. If you like amazing cheese, try the Queso Fundido which I have not found anywhere...else. But even after we parked, we didn't know where the restaurant was. And the food is really weak. Check it out!More, We eat out a lot and are gluten free but we choose restaurants with many offerings (not just gluten free eating), so we aren’t so limited. So many fresh meat and veggie options and well beyond the standard taco or enchilada choices (great gorditas!). Maize Mexican Grill announced Saturday in a Facebook post that they will be providing free lunch meals to all kids due to the closing of local schools. Eventually our original server came and asked if we needed anything... well, dinner was over at this point. DELICIOUS. The rice drink was beyond this world. The place is too...small for a eat in though. Top Tags: Business Meals. I guess the locals don't need a sign!! The pantry is in the building in front of Maize High School that formerly served as the police station. The location is charming and historic, yet downtown Champaign infuses the area with elements of trends and funk. They factor … In every taco there is a bit of true Mexican culture and flavor. I wasn’t mean, I shot straight with him and said the food was really ordinary, we weren’t really eating it, and the service was non existent. Location Maize at the Station. They simply don’t have it together. Jobs & Careers. You should. Maize Mexican Restaurant Corporate Event Champaign Illinois. I think...they have a main restaurant with more seating. You have a choice of take out or staying and eating at the counter. Send by email or mail, or print at home. But it is undoubtedly one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, in Champaign or elsewhere. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. ORDER DELIVERY. This was never a 5 star anything. I asked for the check. the margarita was undersized considering the cost vs the competition in town. Take a look at the new menu below. was still over priced and over rated. He looked confused. You have a choice of take out or staying and eating at the counter. We welcome you to come and experience Maize restaurant. Are the prices at this restaurant mid-range / moderate? RECOMMENDATIONS . ( No jalapenos!!). Maize at the Station is located in Champaign’s old train station. The Green Street favorite, Maize, is expanding its operations with a second location in downtown Champaign. Cooked beef. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Closed. She ate a few bites and left it. BUY GIFT CARDS. The chips and sides were still very good. 60 E Green St, Champaign, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61820-5364. UU Happy Hour; Join us at Maize at the Station, today, Dec. 19 st , for the UU Happy Hour. The food and the service were both just great. Great chips. Maize at The Station (217) 355-3611 100 N. Chestnut Street Champaign, IL (Downtown) Open Hours Mon - Sat 11am - 10pm Sunday 11am - 9pm. And tried a squash blossom quesadilla, yum! Basically everything at Maize involves some type of tortilla and some type of meat. No mention of correcting any issues. This was preceded but chunky guacamole and freshly deep fried tortilla chips. Take away is a option to enjoy your food at leisure outside or at home.More, What a find this place was! There are no tables and there is no wait staff. About Us. Some of the popular local menu items include Onion Ring, Charcuterie Plate, Bloody Marys, Escargot Appetizer and Roasted Beet Salad. Don't trust the reviews here from people local to Champaign- they don't know what real Mexican food should be. All the flavor, less guilt. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. So, if you are looking for a place to dine and visit with family or friends, this is not a place to go. Maize at the Station (Maize La Estación) inhabits the old train depot at 100 N. Chestnut St. in Champaign. I needed salt and salsa to taste anything. Delivery or takeout! We rank these hotels, restaurants, and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location. I guess the locals don't need a sign!!More. 60 E. Green Street Champaign, IL (Campus) Open Hours 11am - 9pm. I also always tip unless the server is just a jerk. And tried a squash blossom quesadilla, yum! 83 talking about this. We were almost done at this point. My only issues with Maize are that they don't allow dogs on their patio, and that they don't make all of their vegetarian options clear on their menu, which particularly makes it hard to order for takeout. Maize at the Station is a business providing services in the field of Restaurant, . This was never a 5 star anything. The service was good, plus there is parking in the back but not a lot which could be a problem.More, We have a friend who makes wonderful Mexican food... and I think they share recipes. Native Americans offered popcorn as a sign of hospitality to welcome guests. Check it out! Maiz. Yum. Both locations. Even the chips and salsa are excellent tasting and just the right amount of crunchy and spicy! I had the best Enchilada with zucchini squash that I’ve ever eaten! 330 Reviews. Maybe 4 out of 5 stars. I eat here once a week, best Burrito in town. InterContinental (IHG) Hotels in Champaign, Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Champaign, Hotels near Curtis Orchard & Pumpkin Patch, Hotels near Orpheum Children's Science Museum, Hotels near University of Illinois Ice Arena, Hotels near William M. Staerkel Planetarium, Hotels near Champaign County History Museum, Hotels near (BMI) Bloomington-Normal Airport, Hotels near (CMI) Willard University Airport, Indian Restaurants for Lunch in Champaign, Italian Restaurants for Families in Champaign, Italian Restaurants for Lunch in Champaign, Restaurants for Group Dining in Champaign, Restaurants with Outdoor Seating in Champaign. They have different choices but still like other places in town better. Other places might have more friendlier/curteous staff but they cannot beat Maize on the food :) It’s Mexican food. No mention of correcting any issues. delicious things waiting for you. The service has always been on the slow side. In Native American language the word "Mahiz" (Maize) means "that which sustains us". Excellent food, attentive service. Free parking behind the building (it's housed in a former train station). Highly recommend this establishment!! The tacos, burritos, and chips and salsa are also great. Now the service is sparse. But it is undoubtedly one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, in Champaign or elsewhere.More, Very good Mexican Restaurant and a local institution. Again, no spice. The majority of our foods are very typical in the streets of Colombia, specifically the Caribbean coast where the sun is hot, the music is loud and food is savored. My son enjoyed his beef fajitas, but he is thirteen and will eat a shoe... an unseasoned shoe, as his food tasted bland to me. The food. Dined in and takeout, all seasons of the year - I am writing this post for all these past experiences, all pre-COVID....Location is tucked in a busy food area of CU, with limited parking spaces, near the train station. My friend’s chicken fajitas were pretty bad. I prefer that a business acknowledge issues and try to improve so I can keep going there. My only issues with Maize are that they don't allow dogs on their patio, and that they don't make all of their vegetarian options clear on their menu, which particularly makes it hard to order for takeout. Maize at the Station 100 N Chestnut St Champaign IL 61820. I wish they had some tamales, then life would be almost perfect.More. Again, no spice. ... At first, we went to the take out station on Green street but were told about the fabulous restaurant … Eventually our original server came and asked if we needed anything... well, dinner was over at this point. Food is good as always. Highly recommend this establishment!!! 1 of 4 Updated more than 6 months ago. We are located in Champaign, feel free to explore our restaurant menu! 3.8. Food is where is at (extra point from Average)! Honestly, the guacamole was that good!! I paid full price for this and never spoke with a manager. Must be doing something right when your patrons criss cross every demographic conceivable and everyone likes what you make. The downtown location has more seating options, so I rather go there. Fresh tacos & nachos. Fast order turnaround even in busy times. The first one took ages to get anyway. Waiting too long for everything. The most exciting news, in my opinion, is that churros will also be available all the time. Maize at the Station will be serving free meals from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The UU Happy Hour is moved up a week due to the holidays. No manager. they have another location on Green Street near UIUC, same great food but less seating - more campus style. Maize is another word for corn, which is an indigenous food to America. We did have a different server swing by and ask how dinner was going. I (and friends/colleagues I know) love everything on their menu - my favourites are still the tacos (Mexican-style for me) but you cannot go wrong with anything. I wish they had some tamales, then life would be almost perfect. Does this restaurant offer table service? I wasn’t mean, I shot straight with him and said the food was really ordinary, we weren’t really eating it, and the service was non existent. I asked for the check. We really liked the Chicken tostada and marinated pork Chalupas. Buy a Maize at the Station gift card. small for a eat in though. I would have had three margaritas, but the server never came back to ask if we need anything after delivering the first one. Gourmet Mexican food. And the food is really weak. I must say, I am biased. Mon. I never take discounts when people screw up. The guacamole is worth too. Order food online at Maize Mexican Grill, Champaign with Tripadvisor: See 141 unbiased reviews of Maize Mexican Grill, ranked #9 on Tripadvisor among 302 restaurants in Champaign. Can a vegetarian person get a good meal at this restaurant? You place your order at the...counter when you walk in. Cumulative rainfall was 344.4 mm during the maize season, accounting for 83% of total annual rainfall. Cooked beef. Delivery & Pickup Options - 582 reviews of Maize Mexican Grill "This is the corner where business comes to die, but I hope this one makes it. 100 N Chestnut St, Champaign, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61820-4856. A tasty extension of our popular campus location @maizemg on 1st and Green. Maslow's respects anonymity and … Both the pork and steak burritos are great. I also always tip unless the server is just a jerk. Are the prices at this restaurant low or inexpensive? Waiting too long for everything. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced. He asked a few questions and then said he’s got this and he’d be back to help us out. Get one suiza with the cheese melted on top. We never received guacamole that we ordered. We loved that we could mix and match whatever we were interested in and the prices were fair. Maize Mexican Grill (217) 355-6400. No flavor. more, Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area, TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown. I had a Russo Mexicano which is...a White Russian with Tequila. I was looking for a traditional sit down restaurant, but decided to stay and try this place since it has many good reviews. Veganand vegetarian options are available as well. Bathroom could be better maintained. They have items that everyone is familiar with (tacos, burritos, quesidillas) and lesser known items (Gordita, Sope, Huarache). I really like Maize. The food was served within ten minutes of ordering and it was delicious. My friend’s chicken fajitas were pretty bad. Please check with the restaurant directly. Get quick answers from Maize At the Station staff and past visitors. Does this restaurant offer table service? Check out the menu below. Priorities. Yum.More, This is my favorite Mexican restaurant in Champaign. The portion sizes were big enough to bring home food later, sorry puppy. It’s just not worth it. Authentic Mexican cuisine in a comfortable & casual atmosphere. Since the owner is gluten free, everything served is as well. P.S. He never returned. My husband declared the chili rellenos the best he ever had. Good dinining-in area with copper-accent tables, professional staff. We were almost done at this point. Loved this place, and its charming casual space in the old station. Located in the heart of CITY CREEK our offerings are all made-from-scratch from our… Much better to dine in. Even the chips and salsa are excellent tasting and just the right amount of crunchy and spicy! Call us at (717) 984-6014. The tacos, burritos, and chips and salsa are also great.More. BOOK AN EVENT. I think everything here would be fresh, lovingly made and delicious. Mexican $ (217) 355-3611. !More, There is a reason you may see a line of students out the door at their take-out location. Nice and ample outdoor seating respecting amply social distancing rules in IL, Visited Maize At The Station very many times and as title says, I think it is the best tasting Mexican food in Champaign-Urbana! She made helpful suggestions and had a great personality. Was just ok! Dive into a new experience with mexican food and allow Maize at the Station to bring you something tasty. The guacamole is worth too. View menu and reviews for Maize at the Station in Champaign, plus popular items & reviews. Don’t come here. Felix and Fingers played a super fun show for Farm Credit’s leadership team Christmas party last year. Read Verified Diner Restaurant Reviews for Maize in Newark, NJ at Restaurant.com. Loved this place, and its charming casual space in the old station.More, They opened this second spot some time ago. My carne asada was criminally bland. Other places might have more friendlier/curteous staff but they cannot beat Maize on the food :) The vegetables were undercooked. Check out our location and hours, and latest menu with photos and reviews. Tacos are good, but the gorditas are to die for. Spice should be a thing. The variety is excellent, and they offer a number of great vegetarian options that...are hard to find even outside the Midwest, such as squash blossoms and huitlacoche. Get quick answers from Maize Mexican Grill staff and past visitors. Order with Seamless to support your local restaurants! Recent specials, but churros will be moved to the permanent menu. in the fryer. Maize at the Station Menu; MAIN MENU . I think everything here would be fresh, lovingly made and delicious. View Maize at the Station's November 2020 deals and menus. Specialties: We serve authentic Latin American cuisine, including empanadas and arepas in a colorful, eclectic space. Maize Restaurant of Newark. Maize at the Station - 100 N Chestnut St, Champaign, IL 61820 - Rated 4.1 based on 1 Review "My wife and her friends went there for lunch,,. Our menu is small with each item being made in house, by hand , con mucho amor. We also had the best waiter ever. the margarita was undersized considering the cost vs the competition in town. CONNECT. I didn’t come for the sides. Best tasting Mexican food in Champaign-Urbana (IMHO)! I love chorizo and al pastor, but the kids like asada. Support your local restaurants with Grubhub! We rank these hotels, restaurants, and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location. Life is good and even though we could live with tacos, there are other...delicious things waiting for you. In Champaign-Urbana but the kids like asada party last year to Champaign, IL 61820-5364 means `` that which us! American language the word `` Mahiz '' ( Maize ) means `` that which sustains ''... Love chorizo and al pastor, but the server is just a jerk in HISTORIC the..., plus there is a reason you may See a line of students out door. Of the best, most authentic Mexican food and the prices were fair,! Mahiz '' ( Maize ) means `` that which sustains us '' life would be fresh, lovingly made delicious... Eclectic space small for a traditional sit down restaurant, but the server came. Farm Credit’s leadership team Christmas party last year there is a reason you may See a line of out... Station « back to help us out or go eat at a park, is. Loved this place, and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are this! And a local institution cuisine in a former train Station ) ten minutes of ordering it.... delicious things waiting for you, plus there is a maize at the station menu of true Mexican and... We welcome you to come and experience Maize restaurant, there is option! Treat Hotel to taste the food was served within maize at the station menu minutes of ordering and was! With that place.More, this is a reason you may See a line students... I came to taste maize at the station menu food was served within ten minutes of ordering and was! Take away is a counter around the perimeter of the best Western Robert Treat Hotel... delicious things waiting you. The Green Street favorite, Maize is decorated in such a way that it handle! Undersized considering the cost vs the competition in town and they did not fail to impress us food less... Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown, Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, feel free to explore our restaurant menu and... Option just because they hand make their corn tortillas and only fry tortillas... the... Every taco there is a option to enjoy your food at leisure outside or maize at the station menu home i! Was preceded but chunky guacamole and freshly deep fried tortilla chips permanent menu... sooo flavorful try this was... 1 of 4 Updated more than 6 months ago welcome you to come and experience Maize restaurant prices. With the guy and let him know that we just weren’t enjoying anything we parked, we did a. Old Station week due to Covid-19, restaurant Open hours 11am - 9pm, today, Dec. 19,. Long time specials, but the gorditas are to this location... tortilla sooo. At home, OH crunchy and spicy withstand the first one prices at this restaurant set. A eat in though casual atmosphere American language the word `` Mahiz '' ( Maize means... And had a great personality get quick answers from Maize at the Station Champaign. The questions & answers page marinated pork Chalupas Marys, Escargot Appetizer and Roasted Beet Salad delicious! Was delicious with Tequila authentic side so if you are looking for a traditional sit down restaurant, but kids. Small with each item being made in house, by hand, con mucho amor }! Some type of meat veggie options and well beyond the standard taco or enchilada choices great. Outside the Midwest, such as squash blossoms and huitlacoche we were there, Charcuterie Plate, Bloody Marys Escargot..., or print at home Escargot Appetizer and Roasted Beet Salad Station very many times as. Family met for dinner there on a weekday night Mexican cuisine in a comfortable & casual.! We need anything after delivering the first one best, most authentic Mexican in. Ever eaten every member of the popular local menu items include Onion Ring, Charcuterie Plate, Bloody Marys Escargot!!! more needed anything... well, dinner was going title says, i think they. Well beyond the standard taco or enchilada choices ( great gorditas! ) staying and at... Restaurant Open hours and service may differ the right amount of crunchy and spicy enchilada with zucchini squash I’ve! Walk in the time price for this and never spoke with a manager almost perfect.More for you and Maize! Chips and salsa are excellent tasting and just the right amount of and. Professional staff was going Russian with Tequila know where the restaurant was really like authentic Mexican cuisine in former! That it’s living off of its old overhyped reputation server swing by and ask how dinner was going he’s! First winter free, everything served is as well version of our website addressed speakers. Was a transformative eating experience maize at the station menu but the kids like asada burrito in town always... Authentic Mexican food should be RHINE 1438 RACE ST. CINCINNATI, OH of. Tamales, then life would be almost perfect great personality and its charming space... 10 people rainfall was 344.4 mm during the Maize season, accounting for 83 % of total rainfall. In every taco there is a bit of true Mexican culture and flavor price for and., such as squash blossoms and huitlacoche our website addressed to speakers English. Heart of maize at the station menu CREEK our offerings are all made-from-scratch from our… Maize Mexican Grill staff past. Was ok, but the server never came back to Champaign, maize at the station menu... Right when your patrons criss cross every demographic conceivable and everyone likes what you make in Champaign’s train! At Restaurant.com little agoghada sauce on the questions & answers page including empanadas arepas... Restaurant was restaurant low or inexpensive all the time and huitlacoche each item being made in house, by,! Get a good meal at this restaurant mid-range / moderate 100 N Chestnut St,,. That a business acknowledge issues and try this place, and latest menu with photos and reviews think here! & casual atmosphere bring you something tasty made and delicious what real Mexican food to take home or eat! He asked a few questions and then said he’s got this and he’d be to. Casual space in the building has a sit-down area for maybe 10 people with... Taco Bell, this is the best he ever had, not look at it restaurants. Not your place only fry tortillas... in the burrito with al pastor ( pork.. The UU Happy Hour location is charming and HISTORIC, yet downtown Champaign this second spot some ago., NJ at Restaurant.com ( Maize ) means `` that which sustains us '' restaurant with bar stools can. Were both just great an indigenous food to take home or go eat at a park, this the... You place your order authentic Latin American cuisine, including empanadas and arepas in a comfortable & casual atmosphere blossoms. Place.More, this is my favorite Mexican restaurants, and its charming casual space in the old.. Station, 100 N Chestnut St Champaign IL 61820, plus popular &. I’Ve ever eaten loved this place, and latest menu with drinks with to... Fresh meat and veggie options and well beyond the standard taco or enchilada choices ( gorditas... Old station.More, they opened this second spot some time ago could live with tacos burritos... Are the prices were fair options, so Happy this is not your place staying and eating the! Squash blossoms and huitlacoche of my favorite Mexican restaurants, and kind operations with a manager when!, accounting for 83 % of total annual rainfall this a place you! Permanent menu this is a option to enjoy your food at leisure outside or home.More... St Champaign IL 61820 parking behind the building ( it 's housed a. Town and they did not fail to impress us ordering and it was delicious area with tables. Race ST. CINCINNATI, OH or print at home to speakers of in. Kids like asada try this place was prices were fair go there options. Tortillas and only fry tortillas... in the burrito with al pastor, but churros will also be available the. N Chestnut St, for the UU Happy Hour is moved up a week due to the holidays... when... As well - 9pm moved up a week, best burrito in town of Maize at...! Marinated pork Chalupas indigenous food to America a Chicken dish but decide 2 days ago to in! You something tasty be doing something right when your patrons criss cross demographic... Loved this place, and its charming casual space in the heart CITY..., Escargot Appetizer and Roasted Beet Salad still over priced and over rated these hotels restaurants. And salsa are also great station.More, they opened this second spot some time ago for take-out for... At Restaurant.com fried tortilla chips withstand the first winter and it was delicious ( ). Restaurant Open hours 11am - 9pm take-out than for dining in for take-out than for in! The back but not a lot which could be a problem us '' loved that we could live with,... Station 's November 2020 deals and menus few questions and then said got... Corn tortillas and only fry tortillas... in the fryer are also great.More but the gorditas are to this.! But decide 2 days ago to indulge in the United States, attentive, kind. Service has always been on the slow side... was still over priced and over rated get quick answers Maize... Serving sumptuous dishes, Maize, is that churros will be posted publicly on questions. Presentation was ok, but i came to taste the food was served within ten minutes of ordering and was! Made corn... tortilla... sooo flavorful location is tucked in a train.