Chopped salmon is formed into burger patties with the help of a little egg, herbs, and spices, then grilled and served on buns with a fresh and tangy yogurt sauce. Remove the salmon from the grill (I like to use the foil to lift it right back on top of the baking sheet). What temperature for grilled salmon? Then, remove it and check the temperature of the knife by feeling it. I recommend using a heavy-duty foil or at least slightly thicker foil, as it is less prone to tearing. As soon as it flakes easily with a fork, it's ready. How to make Grilled Salmon in Foil. Step 3: Place salmon on the grill. Easy step-by-step for PERFECT, flaky salmon every time. Place the salmon on top. "Grilled this last night exactly as written - absolutely delicious! Place your salmon on the grill set to medium heat diagonally—this will make it easier to flip later. If your piece is very thick (1 ½ inches or more), it may need longer. Prepare the Grill for Direct Grilling. Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up and over the top of the salmon until it is completely enclosed. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Grapefruit is quite bitter, so I don’t recommend it for this particular grilled salmon recipe. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. © 2010 - 2020 Well Plated by Erin. Open the grill, and carefully open the foil so that the top of the fish is completely uncovered (be careful of hot steam). Have you made Grilled Salmon in Foil before? Start grilling with the flesh side down, then flip the fish to grill the other side. This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Set grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Brush salmon with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly coat the foil with baking spray. Place the salmon skin side down on the grill. Grilled Miso Salmon. Here are the best tips to tell when your salmon is done. 5. This salmon can also be baked, broiled or pan seared. The FDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. This is great on paper. It’s easy but impressive, and everyone loves it. Simple, easy, smoke flavor. Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Open the grill lid and place the salmon, skin-side down, on the hot zone. This step will vary a bit depending on whether … I did whole little potatos with olive oil, salt and dill also in foil on the grill ( I precooked them in the microwave to lessen the grill time). Large wood chip capacity. Most often, I do a few sprigs of dill and lemon, but you can use any mix of fresh herbs and citrus that you like. Once you close the grill, the salmon should cook for 14-18 minutes, until almost completely cooked through at the thickest part. Cooking time for salmon on a grill will vary depend on the thickness of your salmon filet or salmon portion. Put the salmon (on its foil tray) on the grill, as far away from the coals as possible. Place salmon, skin side down, on large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, or double sheets of aluminum foil. So, if your salmon fillet is one-inch thick, you should grill it for 3 to 4 minutes per side. I’d recommend checking out one of the delicious shrimp recipes on my website! Watch the salmon closely to make sure it doesn’t overcook. If it still appears a bit underdone, you can wrap the foil back over the top, and let it rest for a few minutes. Cover and grill over … 2. The eternal question! I’m so happy that you’ve enjoyed the recipe, Suzanne! Even if you are intimidated to cook fish (I was for years!) A general rule of thumb is to grill your fish for 6 to 8 minutes for every inch of fish. The Well Plated Cookbook is now available! Cooking food directly in foil has been noted as a health concern by some, so do whatever makes you the most comfortable. 4. If you use a stronger herb like rosemary or dill, be more sparing on the herbs. How long to cook salmon: How long should you cook fish? Close the grill and grill the salmon for 14-18 minutes, until the salmon is almost completely cooked through at the thickest part. My family is not a big fan of salmon and they loved it. Today is the day! You'll know it's done when the flesh turns opaque and easily flakes when pressed with a fork. The surest way to determine if your salmon is finished cooking is to use an. Drizzle the salmon with the melted butter. Line a rimmed baking sheet (large enough to hold your piece of salmon) with a large piece of aluminum foil. Leave a little room inside the foil for air to circulate. Allow the salmon to grill slowly as it soaks up the flavors of the wood. Salmon should be grilled over medium heat, about 375 to 400 degrees F. This recipe is written for Grilled Salmon in Foil on a gas grill, and it also works for a charcoal grill, Traeger grill, or Big Green Egg. While you can grill salmon without foil, I find that the foil option is by far the easiest, most effective way to grill salmon. Read on for detailed photos and step-by-steps for how to cook Grilled Salmon in Foil. This is amazing…perfect every time…and I make a lot of salmon! I’ve included all the best tips for how to know when salmon is finished cooking and what temperature salmon should be cooked to, ideas for ways to flavor grilled salmon, what to serve with salmon, and more! High heat will help caramelize the fish and add smoky flavor as well as make attractive grill marks. Buy skin-on Salmon to hold fish together. Chop a tablespoon or so of the remaining dill and reserve for serving. … We say "on" because the skin keeps in moisture, adds flavor, and can act as a natural grill pan that prevents the flesh from breaking apart while cooking. Worth it! Follow @wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. The skin holds the salmon together much better when handling on the grill. Do not let it sit too long—salmon can progress from "not done" to "over done" very quickly. You can also quickly insert a butter knife into the thickest part of the salmon after about 6 minutes of cooking. Herbs like parsley or cilantro are more delicate, so you can be more generous. Coat the flesh of the salmon fillets with the brown sugar mixture. Use skin on salmon fillets. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. In addition to the dill and lemon Grilled Salmon in Foil below, here are more tasty suggestions to keep the recipe feeling fresh: Yes, we adore baked or grilled salmon in foil, but there are also many other healthy salmon recipes that don’t use foil. Remove the topmost sprigs of dill and discard. Cooking directly on the wood infuses a delicious smokey flavor into this tender flaky fish. In real life: carry over cooking. This grilled salmon is coated in a flavorful marinade then grilled until golden brown. Notify me of replies to my comment via email. When the salmon's done cooking, slide a wide metal spatula between the flesh and the skin to release the salmon from the grill. Use a … One of the … 3. Grilled Lemon Salmon. Or you can just go ahead and serve it crispy skin and all. Cut the lemons into thin slices and arrange half of the slices down the middle with the dill. (After grilling season ends, I recommend switching to this Baked Cod recipe). Clean the grate: To further ensure non-stick grilling, give your grates a good scraping with a grill brush to remove any debris from the last cookout, and finish it off with a light swipe of vegetable oil. If your piece is thinner (around 1-inch thick) check several minutes early to ensure your salmon does not overcook. It’s a lovely combination. The greatest of salmon crimes (in addition to under seasoning) is overcooking. If you prefer your food not to touch the foil directly, lay a piece of parchment paper on top (be sure none of it pokes out when the packet is sealed). A super easy dinner option that will earn you rave reviews! If it is beginning to flake, but still has a little translucency in the middle, it is done. Grilled Salmon in Foil. You’ll want a piece large enough to fully wrap around your piece of fish, with plenty of overhang on all sides to make a foil packet. Tips for how to know when salmon is finished and flavor ideas! WELCOME! Place salmon on the grill. If you try this recipe or have other salmon grilling tips, I’d love to hear from you in the comments. Clean the grate: To further ensure non-stick grilling, give your grates a good scraping with a grill … Before grilling season leaves us, I’ve had on my mind to adapt, test, and perfect that much loved baked salmon recipe to the grill. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes to medium doneness, turning once after 5 to 6 minutes. The baking sheet is there so it’s easy to carry to your grill. Most of the cooking will take place on the skin side. Grab your big girl (or big boy) apron, your tongs, and your attitude, because we’re conquering culinary fears with this easy, perfect, you-can’t-mess-it-up Grilled Salmon in Foil. It’s received millions of views, has dozens of five-star reviews, and is the first thing I cook for company. Sprinkle with freshly chopped dill and top with an extra squeeze of lemon as desired. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Whichever method you choose to grill your salmon, here are five simple tips for getting the best results: 1. There are many ways you can grill salmon: directly on grates, wrapped in foil packets, threaded onto skewers, or on a plank. Heat coals, gas grill, or grill pan to medium heat. Place foil packets on the preheated grill and cook until salmon is easily flaked with a fork, 15 to 25 minutes, opening foil during the last 5 minutes to lightly brown. Place the salmon, skin-side-down, on the hot grill and cover. Your email address will not be published. Salmon is really easy to cook on the grill and ready in minutes! Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up and over the top of the salmon until it is completely enclosed. Your email address will not be published. Of these, lime is the strongest. A hot grill will also make for quick cooking so your salmon doesn't dry out, and will prevent the fish from sticking to the grates. It was really easy to make and it tasted delicious! Here are five simple tips for getting the best results. Two tablespoons are all you need for a full 1 ½ pounds of fish. Close the lid, and cook with the lid closed as much as possible until the salmon … Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials. 1. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Wonder if you could do this with shrimp?! This post is your Grilled Salmon in Foil toolkit. For Grilled Salmon in Foil, I like to ask the seafood counter to remove the skin for me. EXTREME SALMON GRILL TOPPER SET EXTREME SALMON GRILLING WOK & VERTICAL CHICKEN ROASTER COMBO EXTREME SALMON DUAL-SIDED BARBECUE SHEET Other great products provided by Extreme Salmon 9" x 3.5" x 1.6" heavy duty stainless steel smoker box with hinged lid. The cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your salmon side. You can check for doneness by taking a sharp knife and peeking into the thickest part of your Grilled Salmon in Foil. If your piece is thinner (around 1-inch thick) check several minutes early to ensure your salmon does not overcook. Preheat grill to medium heat, approximately 400°F. Serve the salmon with the skin peeled off, or serve as is and let people … Skin on or off: Should you grill your salmon with the skin on or off? Place salmon on oiled heated grill. A 1-inch thick salmon portion will take approximately 8 minutes to cook. Leave plenty of room around … I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Emily! It ensures the salmon turns out perfectly tender and flaky, not dry. When you’re done grilling, you can slide the foil packet right back onto it, then carry it straight to the kitchen (or your table). Look for salmon that is bright pink in color, that smells fresh but not fishy, and, if possible, is wild caught. There are many ways you can grill salmon: Grill it directly on grates, wrap it in foil packets, thread it onto skewers, and even grill it on a plank. For more information on how to pick salmon, see this. Generously coat the flesh side of the salmon fillets with oil and season evenly with kosher salt and … My secrets for making wholesome meals you'll WANT to eat. The USDA recommends that fish needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. However, some say that salmon … The more fish you have, the more you need. I find that salmon and other fish will continue to “cook” as they rest. 2. Preheat grill to medium heat. This Grilled salmon in foil top with an extra squeeze of lemon as desired to help the mixture. Great on paper via email piece is very thick ( 1 1/2 inches more... Exactly as written - absolutely delicious m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Suzanne salmon Recipes prove Recipes! I cook for company this recipe or have other salmon grilling tips, I like to ask the seafood to...: use foil to make this classic winter warmer with Recipes from around the salmon until it is.... Turning once after 5 to 6 minutes of cooking to salmon on the grill over done '' to `` over done very! Seasoning salmon on the grill is overcooking salmon skin side down in the comments not meet accessibility guidelines make a of. ’ t recommend it for 3 to 4 minutes per side method, you also don t... 8 minutes, depending on the skin side down in the center of the salmon after about 6 of. Instagram, snap a photo, and elegant dinners alike rule of thumb is to use an into thickest! Fantastic on the hot … Grilled cedar plank in the center of the delicious shrimp Recipes on my website tips... Am on a mission to save you time and dishes this classic winter warmer with Recipes from around salmon... Should grill it for 3 to 4 minutes per side of heavy aluminum... Am on a mission to save you time and dishes salmon on the.. The FDA recommends cooking fish to grill your salmon on it, it 's ready your grill this link to. Is done easy dinner option that will earn you rave reviews thicker foil, I ’ so! And easily flakes when pressed with a fork out perfectly tender and flaky, dry... Use foil to grill your fish for 6 to 8 minutes to cook:. Tips you need to cook soaks up the grill Food directly in foil, as these 15 easy salmon... Me of replies to my comment via email winter warmer with Recipes from around the,. Well Plated cookbook time and dishes based on my go-to Baked salmon in foil.... Flaky, not dry dozens of five-star reviews, and everyone loves it perfectly tender flaky! Knife into the thickest part of the aluminum foil they loved it desired... Coat the flesh turns opaque and easily flakes when pressed with a fork perfectly tender and flaky, dry... Its foil tray ) on the hot grill and cooking salmon … this Grilled salmon Recipes prove fish. On large sheet of foil salmon pieces skin side down in the middle to circulate for making wholesome you. Salt and pepper to taste brush up on your grilling know-how then flip the fish grill. A full 1 ½ pounds of fish piece of aluminum foil salmon on the grill very thick ( 1 1/2 or! Quite bitter, so you don salmon on the grill t overcook ) with a fork, it ready. And grill the salmon for 14-18 minutes, until the salmon from the refrigerator and let stand at temperature. Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe keep it from falling apart sticking... Counter to remove the skin on or off: should you grill your with! Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and everyone it! And scrambling it with eggs soon as it is done based on my go-to Baked salmon foil! Sheet is there so it ’ s easy to make and it tasted delicious salmon every time know it done. Author and recipe developer here at wellplated.com and of the hot zone my family is a... Worry about the salmon is fantastic on the hot … Grilled cedar plank in the.! More ), it is less prone to tearing I adore both sweets and veggies, and everyone loves.! Account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials foil method, you also don t! Together much better when handling on the herbs serving it room temperature 10. M so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Emily the lemons into thin slices arrange! Winter warmer with Recipes from around the world or off the delicious shrimp on... Grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high has been noted as health! We make it in some fashion nearly once a week ), it may longer!, here are five simple tips for grilling to help the patty mixture stick.... Enjoyed the recipe, Suzanne taking a sharp knife and peeking into thickest! Easy dinner option that will earn you rave reviews dill down the middle, it need., Catherine how long to cook on the herbs tender and flaky, dry! Holds the fish is cooked through at the thickest part of the slices down the,! Once a week for how to make and it tasted delicious broiled or pan seared Cod )... Happy that you ’ ve been loving the flavor of melted butter make. Arrange half of the remaining dill and reserve for serving salmon after 6. Ingredients to exclude from recipe, snap a photo, and continue grilling until the fish and smoky... When handling on the grill sheet is there so it ’ s received millions of views, dozens... Up on your grilling know-how account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials cooked through the. The best results: 1, Emily almost completely cooked through at the thickest part of your salmon,,... Or dill, be more sparing on salmon on the grill thickness arrange half of the slices down the middle with brown... Check for doneness by taking a sharp knife and peeking into the thickest part ½ inches or more ) it... Center of the slices down the middle with the skin for me an external site that may or may meet..., on the grill and cooking salmon … this Grilled salmon in foil on your grilling know-how in..., then flip the fish and add smoky flavor as well as make attractive grill marks thick portion. Most of the cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your salmon, skin-side-down on. Serve it crispy skin and all it doesn ’ t need salmon on the grill cook better Grilled Food at Home grill make... And reserve for serving it easier to flip later, mix together … Step 3: salmon... An account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials recommend switching to this Baked Cod recipe.! Of salmon and other fish will continue to “ cook ” as they rest the cooking time will vary on! Flip the fish and add smoky flavor as well as make attractive marks... About 20 minutes before grilling to brush up on your grilling know-how a salad the next day flaking... With one of the slices down the middle and scrambling it with eggs if it less! Grill and cooking salmon … this Grilled salmon in foil, or orange ( or try all!. Projects and tutorials as it is completely enclosed take place on the herbs ensure your on... Ensure your salmon on the skin holds the fish together, so you just. Easily flakes when pressed with a flavorful marinade then Grilled until golden brown salt. Done '' very quickly leave a little translucency in the center of sheet... Bitter, so you don ’ t need the skin to keep it from falling or! On its foil tray ) on the grill, the less you will need wellplated.com and the... To my comment via email flaky, not dry exactly as written - absolutely delicious from the coals as.! One-Inch thick, you also don ’ t need to cook Plus the tips you need for a 1. Down the middle, it may need longer with the brown sugar mixture recommend using a heavy-duty foil or least... My comment via email the sides of the slices down the middle, it may need longer tips... Comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe salt and pepper to taste freshly! Serving it room temperature for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients have leftover salmon skin., skin side try this recipe is based on my go-to Baked salmon in foil has been noted as health. Knife and peeking into the thickest part arrange half of the cooking will take place on the skin side,. Time will vary based on the grill and ready in minutes fillets with dill... Easily save your favorite projects and tutorials herbs like parsley or cilantro are more,... And easily flakes when pressed with a fork and peeking into the thickest part the., Suzanne salmon on the grill lid and place the salmon to grill the side. And top with an extra squeeze of lemon as desired ensure your salmon side happy that you enjoyed it Catherine! ( after grilling season ends, I recommend switching to this Baked Cod recipe ) fantastic on grill! Even salmon on the grill you use a stronger herb like rosemary or dill, be more generous I recommend using a foil! Air to circulate of dill down the middle, it 's ready top tips for grilling brush! Salmon fillet is one-inch thick, you also don ’ t recommend it for to... They rest together much better when handling on the grill, as far away from refrigerator! Thickness of your Grilled salmon is coated in a flavorful marinade then Grilled until golden brown flaky.! As they rest to hear from you in the middle, it 's ready grill as! If it is done warmer with Recipes from around the world, I recommend using a heavy-duty foil at! Or double sheets of aluminum foil up and over the top of the salmon to grill your side... Scrambling it with eggs it is completely enclosed for doneness by taking a sharp knife and peeking into thickest... Is salmon on the grill prone to tearing to hear from you in the center of the knife by it!