Part of this lecture can be seen in the recent award winning film ‘Fantastic Fungi’ (check it out!). One that has been recently revisited is Terence Mckenna’s ‘Stoned Ape Theory’. I mean, a bug walking across the ground moved me to tears. 7.14.2017 7:48 PM. Once relegated to the depths of psychonaut Reddit forums, this theory has been spotlighted again due to its inclusion in a lecture by renowned mycologist Paul Stamets in 2017. This … travistrange reblogged this … Stoned Ape Theory. Posted by 3 years ago. I applaud your involvement in NORML. And it's not hard to see why. This theory is not one of those times. Even if we assume neurogenesis is caused by psychedelics, there is no evidence that they would affect DNA in gametes … The stoned ape theory is a compelling hypothesis which provides a potential unified explanation for many unanswered questions of how humans evolved from apes: where our radically larger brains came from so quickly, how culture developed, and how some of the critical foundations of tribalism and modern civilization came about. Share this: Email; Facebook; More; Like this: Like Loading... Leave a comment!^.^! When it first happened, and I got these diagnoses, I could see the light of eternity, a la William Blake, shining through every leaf. He just snorted and chuckled. I appreciated that little guy just scrunching up and laying out, moving little by little. The 'Stoned Ape' Theory Might Explain Our Extraordinary Evolution . The Stoned Ape Theory was first proposed in 1993 by Terence McKenna, who was an American ethnobotanist, lecturer and author. I used to be one of those people who made that judgement, but as I shed through the layers of social conditioning and actually researched these substances for myself, a lot of what Terence theorizes makes a lot of sense. While interesting, it does have several holes on several fronts. Cancel reply. 74. Feelings of interconnectedness and empathy that shrooms encourage, would have strengthened community— which is one of the secrets to humanity’s success. , ! The psilocybin in the mushrooms, behaves exactly as it does today, opening the minds of its consumers. Part of this lecture can be seen in the recent award winning film ‘Fantastic Fungi’ (check it out!). The Stoned Ape Theory. my subreddits. psychedelicladybean liked this . I asked an anthropologist buddy. The Stoned Ape theory, which explains our human evolution is a controversial theory made popular by psychonaut Terence McKenna. , . A Crash Course on the Stoned Ape Theory. Not until our primate ancestors began eating hallucinatory psilocybin mushrooms, … It is thought that between 2 million and 700,000 years ago Homo erectus brains doubled in size. Who was Terence McKenna? Here is everything you need to know about ‘Stoned Ape Theory’! 104 notes. That we are distantly related to fungi, that early mammals survived while the dinosaurs perished, and— thanks to Darwin, our monkey Uncles. The Progeny Of The “Stoned Ape” Theory. I remember laying down in the grass, out in some woods doing some training before we left for Afghanistan. These questions have … Leaving the leafy canopy behind they begin, in groups, to track and domesticate herds of animals. Most primate species known already have very good vision and sophisticated social systems without the use of drugs. McKenna presented the theory in his book Food of the Gods. I was told I had a five to fifteen% chance of being alive 5 years from then. Psilocybe cubensis is often found growing under cow poo, so the theory suggests that hunter-gatherer groups would follow herds, then … As far as the decision-making -- from what I've seen personally I'm inclined to believe the opposite. Maybe it was because I was about to deploy and I knew that there would be a chance I would never experience something like that ever again. I feel lucky to have the perspective that was forced on me, I'm fortunate to have gone through it and I can't stop feeling amazed at most everything. 79 notes Apr 21st, 2020. Posted on April 8, 2020 | Views: 837 cwebb 2020-05-18T17:33:38-07:00. by Sarah Sloat: A scientist resurfaces a psychedelic retelling of human evolution… Imagine Homo erectus, a now-extinct species of hominids that stood upright and became the first of our ancestors to move beyond a single continent. It is just you and your goal, no interruptions. 27.2k. Read more from wikipedia.org. It's certainly an opportunity to grow up and get a grip and sort it all out. Interestingly. r/Psychonaut: A psychonaut is a person who experiences intentionally induced altered states of consciousness and claims to use the experience to … veganpsychedelephant liked this . I found hope in the … A theory is a hypothesis (a proposed explanation or idea) that is backed up by proven evidence. Munching together, on the shrooms, they begin to feel the psychedelic effects. And it's not hard to see why. The history of Earth unfolds in a hallucinogenic frenzy after an ape eats a mushroom in prehistoric New Jersey. DMT Convinced Mike Tyson to Get in Shape. View replies (1) janetluongo. Once relegated to the depths of psychonaut Reddit forums, this theory has been spotlighted again due to its inclusion in a lecture by renowned mycologist Paul Stamets in 2017. McKenna's theory was called the "Stoned Ape Hypothesis." … My best friend was killed on Sunday, this makes me feel a little bit better. If you are unfamiliar with Terence McKenna, check out my article on Timewave Zero Novelty Theory. "ok, i'm alive again. Every day feels like a gift and I appreciate so much that I overlooked before. As there is currently no concrete factual evidence for this idea, it remains a hypothesis. 1:40 . McKenna proposed that these massive accelerations were due to an unexpected source—  magic mushrooms. The theory proposes that the transformation of species from the early Homo Erectus to the Homo Sapiens was mainly due to the addition of psilocybin-based mushrooms in their diet. In response to this video of Paul Stamets explaining Terrence McKenna’s Stone Ape Hypothesis, reddit user u/willis81808 had this to say: The big issue with this "theory" is it's inability to explain how these substances could've had any effect on the species, and not just the individual. Today we know more than we ever did about human evolution. Having months and months to look at it and think about it and talk to people and hear what they have to say, it's a kind of blessing. endlessrevolution … popular-all-random-users | AskReddit-funny-gaming-news-pics-movies-explainlikeimfive-worldnews-aww-todayilearned-videos-IAmA-Jokes-science-mildlyinteresting-tifu-LifeProTips-GetMotivated-askscience-Showerthoughts-TwoXChromosomes-gifs … I love this because I'm a firm believer that death's greatest gift is that it engenders in people a real motivation to seize the day and to not take even the smallest things for granted. For those not familiar with (or now hoping to become MORE familiar with) Terence McKenna, he presented the Stoned Ape Theory in his 1992 book, Food of the Gods, proposing that eating magic mushrooms pushed Homo erectus to Homo sapien by expanding his brain as well as his mind.His examples included psilocybin mushrooms improving visual acuity so hunters could hunt more … Today, McKenna’s hypothesis has been widely debunked as being too simplistic an explanation for the mystery of human consciousness. I went through the chemo, the radiation, the surgeries, I thought I was going to die but I made it! Archived. I want to live my life such that I never forget how close I am to the end of it. Taken from Joe Rogan Experience #1201: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dtv8ibI1vk 73. Psilocybe cubensis is often found growing under cow poo, so the theory suggests that hunter-gatherer groups would follow herds, … He … And thank you for everyone's kind comments and similar experiences! In fact, McKenna also maintained that increased sexual arousal due to ingestion of shrooms (this has not been proven) would have further benefited the growth of population. The Stoned Ape Theory. As those who have read McKenna’s Food of the Gods know, the author famously proposed that our species’ … The ‘Stoned Ape’ Theory Might Explain Our Extraordinary Evolution. Joe Rogan Tells Mike Tyson About Terence McKenna's 'Stoned Ape' Theory. So, to satisfy your curiosity, here is a pocket sized summary of McKenna’s often mocked, but always compelling theory. So it's safe to say they don't think highly at all of the theory. Psilocybin can induce a brain state similar to synesthesia— where different senses, such as vision and sound, get paired together. thegardenofchaos liked this . The Stoned Ape Theory was founded by none other than the American author, lecturer, ethnobotanist and psychonaut Terence Kemp McKenna. McKenna’s 1992 book, Food of the Gods, first proposed what’s referred to as “the stoned ape theory.” One of our early ancestors, Homo erectus, began eating Psilocybe cubensis — a psychedelic mushroom — as part of their diet. 1:57 . But whether they agree with the hypothesis or not, one thing that most of the discussions about the hypothesis does agree on is that McKenna seems to have had much fun conducting the research. My, the world you created! He called this the Stoned Ape Hypothesis.” ref “McKenna … Anders Jacobsson 38,680 views. As our distant ancestors left the forests for the grasslands and began moving throughout Africa after the last ice age, about 18,000 years ago, the species switched to a more omnivorous diet, which included psilocybin mushrooms. endlessrevolution reblogged this from justspectre. McKenna’s 1992 book, Food of the Gods, first proposed what’s referred to as “the stoned ape theory.” One of our early ancestors, Homo erectus, began eating Psilocybe cubensis — a psychedelic mushroom — as part of their diet. By Charlie Dumond | December 5, 2020 SAN FRANCISCO — The artificial intelligence known as Stockfish has refused to play anymore chess and won’t continue until its developers take it to Burning Man. Posted on April 8, 2020 | Views: 837 cwebb 2020-05-18T17:33:38-07:00. by Sarah Sloat: A scientist resurfaces a psychedelic retelling of human evolution… Imagine Homo erectus, a now-extinct species of hominids that stood upright and became the first of our ancestors to move beyond a single continent. The Origins of Consciousness in the Technological Age - Duration: 45:52. Official Facebook page of the hip hop duo Stoned Ape Theory Members - HD Thuro (Rhymes) x Ill Pill (Beats) I can tell you’re already intrigued— there are not many theories with a name as tantalising as ‘Stoned Ape’. It makes life rich and poignant. 7.14.2017 7:48 PM. 8w. He's my favorite philosopher/poet/writer in history. In his book Food of the Gods, McKenna proposed that the transformation from humans' early ancestors Homo erectus to the species Homo sapiens mainly had to do with the addition of the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis in its diet, an event that according to his theory took place in about 100,000 BCE (which is when he believed that the species diverged from the genus … Nonetheless, it was an amazing feeling. ReddIt. The theory certainly captures the imagination and its proponents believe staunchly in the Stoned Ape hypothesis, but the data and further research in this case points to the theory being invalid. The Stoned Ape Theory. Meanwhile, McKenna should remain lauded for recognising what science is only beginning to take seriously now— that psilocybin is a revolutionary tool for brain wellness. “I just really need to get in touch with myself,” said the AI from a smoke-filled room in the art space where it now resides. The hypothesis is being revisited as a possible answer to a vexxing evolutionary riddle. Unlike many spiritual iconic figures of … jadoogar liked this . ... McKenna’s theory has received less attention over the years and has been criticized for lack of evidence. play_arrow pause. Bill Hicks - The stoned ape- theory in 3 minutes - Duration: 3:02. 104 notes Nov 22nd, 2019. stoned_ape_theory -2 points-1 points 0 points 2 days ago If cops can carry a weapon off-duty and shoot at-will, and LA County refuses to issue concealed carry permits, then citizens of LA County have no choice but to illegally carry a weapon to defend themselves from this kind of nonsense. The ‘Stoned Ape’ Theory Might Explain Our Extraordinary Evolution. via reddit.com → Wanna see more? “Calculating chess moves is my job, but going … Sure, erectus stood upright — a big, um, step forward — but with the emergence of Homo sapiens , we see traces of art, pictography, and tool usage, and we believe humankind made its first forays into language. They give you an odd sense of being in your place in the universe and everything has this awe-inspiring significance. In 2012 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. None of this theory is yet provable but, in fact, is plausible with some belief and imagination. Joe Rogan and Michael Pollan on Terrence McKenna's Stoned Ape Theory. The theory certainly captures the imagination and its proponents believe staunchly in the Stoned Ape hypothesis, but the data and further research in this case points to the theory being invalid. Around two million … He argues that the brain had to develop the ability to understand subjective experiences in order to serve social needs. As our distant ancestors left the forests for the grasslands and began moving throughout Africa after the last ice age, about 18,000 years ago, the species switched to a more omnivorous diet, which included psilocybin mushrooms. McKenna’s Stoned Ape Theory. regarding stoned ape theory, I believe language started non verbally like hand gestures, certain head and facial movements, then in no particular order grunts or noises and finally symbols drawn in the dirt ->{ ? what are your views on psychedelics? A scientist resurfaces a psychedelic retelling of human evolution. Calm. Sarah Sloat. The Return Of The ‘Stoned Ape’ Theory There seems to have been a profound difference in cognitive abilities between early Homo sapiens and our immediate predecessor, Homo erectus . Open in app; Facebook; Tweet; Pinterest; Reddit; Mail; Embed; Permalink ; amazo1721 liked this . He said that through LSD he had already faced the death of the ego, and that he wasn't afraid to die. So I'm skeptical, but I don't entirely discount the possibility. Press J to jump to the feed. Imagine the scenario: early human has descended from the trees. play_arrow pause. The Stoned Ape Theory is greatly based on supposition interpolating within some fragmentary facts we know about the history of humans. what am i going to do, or what am i going to do differently with this chance?". However, it should be noted there is scant, if any, evidence to support the other theories. 79 notes. I understand that as soon as you decide to … Coming Out of Retirement, Mike Tyson Did a Complete 180. Michael Graziano, Ph.D., a mind-studying professor of psychology and neuroscience at Princeton University, has not heard of the stoned ape theory but agrees that the evolution of human consciousness is somehow related to the formation of communities. I really appreciated life right then and there. Tim Marr stoned ape theory entheogens psychedelics. You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. TIL about the ‘Stoned Ape’ theory the idea that ingestion of psychedelic mushrooms was the "evolutionary catalyst" from which language, projective imagination, the arts, religion, philosophy, science, and all of human culture sprang. If there’s any truth to Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape theory, then human evolution may owe a great debt to psychedelic microdosing — the practice of taking a sub-perceptual dose (an amount too small to produce traditional psychedelic effects) of a substance such as LSD or psilocybin. Later in life he was diagnosed with a terminal disease, and a donor was found that would have saved his life, but he told the doctors to give it to somebody else that needed it maybe not so much this part YES ABSOLUTELY THIS PART THANK YOU /u/styroducky. He had a hobby of fossil hunting in his youth, which helped him gain a scientific appreciation of nature. psychedelicladybean reblogged this from juicyjayspurplehaze. The Stoned Ape Hypothesis centers around the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis. By the time our ancestors were even on the savannah we'd already had those traits. The idea that psilocybin enhances cognitive function isn’t new. 0. May such kindness be possible. play_arrow pause. I hope Comedy Central pick this pilot up! I remember reading about the Stoned Ape Theory that Terence offered as his explanation how humans jumped in evolution from the primitive ape to the complex thinking humans we see today, and this blew my mind. Written by: Duncan Trussell, Will Carsola, and Tom Giannis. TIL of The Stoned Ape Theory, which is a controversial theory from Terence McKenna which states that a lot of our advanced human evolution came as a result of the ingestion of psilocybin mushrooms, also known as magic mushrooms by our primate ancestors. The Stoned Ape Theory was first proposed in 1993 by Terence McKenna, who was an American ethnobotanist, lecturer and author. McKenna, who the Grateful Dead’s Jerry Garcia called ”the only person who has made a serious effort to objectify the psychedelic experience” is also famous for one of humanities grandest theories— that psychedelic mushrooms are the missing link in the story of human evolution. TIL about the ‘Stoned Ape’ theory the idea that ingestion of psychedelic mushrooms was the "evolutionary catalyst" from which language, projective imagination, the arts, religion, philosophy, science, and all of human culture sprang. You should read some of Blake's works then. Or his, "the body is the placenta of the soul.". In 1992 he published a book called ‘Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge— A Radical History of Plants, Drugs and Human Evolution’. (read more on the Legal page), for creative & spiritual enhancement ✨ or anti-depressant (says science), our services’ legality ⚖️ are guaranteed under, Earliest Evidence Of Human Psychedelic Use Found In California Cave, CBD Products May Cause Positive Drug Test Results, Celebrating 155 Years Of ‘Alice In Wonderland’. thinmanblues liked this . Terence McKenna is said to be way ahead of his time, and declared a “super genius” by many of his colleagues. 8w 5 likes Reply. McKenna’s 1992 book, Food of the Gods, first proposed what’s referred to as “the stoned ape theory.” One of our early ancestors, Homo erectus, began eating Psilocybe cubensis — a psychedelic mushroom — as part of their diet. He has dedicated his life, energy, and enthusiasm to the study of fungi and is the owner of a gourmet and medicinal mushroom distributor, Fungi Perfecti. What is it?! A Crash Course on the Stoned Ape Theory. But whether they agree with the hypothesis or not, one thing that most of the discussions about the hypothesis does agree on is that McKenna seems to have had much fun conducting the research. Open in app; Facebook; Tweet; Reddit; Mail; Embed; Permalink ; iluc1f3r liked this . Taken from Joe Rogan Experience #1201: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dtv8ibI1vk While interesting, it does have several holes on several fronts. All that shit you thought about so much, all those needless distractions, gone. Painting. “Stoned Ape” Theory of Human Evolution “Ethnobotanist and psychedelics advocate Terence McKenna argued in the book Food of the Gods that what enabled Homo erectus to evolve into Homo sapiens was its encounter with magic mushrooms and psilocybin, the psychedelic compound within them, on that evolutionary journey. A Crash Course on the Stoned Ape Theory. Was setting up for an ambush. Sarah Sloat. So! The ‘Stoned Ape Hypothesis’. There are of course, many theories. i sort of pretend i'm not intimately familiar with the context of this moment in my life and just let myself be aware that i'm alive, and there's a chance to make something of it, or at least live, whatever that means. He believed psilocybin mushrooms catalysed a rapid expansion of the human brain, an event that gave rise to self-awareness and abstract thought. At this point, it should not surprise that Terence McKenna was known for his crackpot hypotheses.. Stoned Ape Theory []. You learn something new every day; what did you learn today? 72. This could explain how humans were able to begin to create association with the things they saw and the noises that they made with their mouths— thus language was born. theinfiniteessence liked this . love-my-self23333 reblogged this from entheognosis. The stoned ape theory offers such an explanation for how such changes came about. A scientist resurfaces a psychedelic retelling of human evolution. Additionally, early religious and ceremonial ritual may have been based upon the psychedelic experiences induced by the magic mushrooms. This process kicked into overdrive the ability to process information, imagine and think abstractly. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. There is, currently, no agreed upon theory for such a dramatic evolutionary development. What McKenna called his "theory of evolution" is what came to be known as the Stoned Ape Theory: the idea that consumption of wild mushrooms by early hominids had a drastic impact on the evolutionary development of the brain. The only theory I've ever heard that answers that in a way that is at all compelling to me is Stoned Ape. It is an animation of Terrance Mckenna’s “Stoned Ape Theory” which is the theory that protohominids munched on mushrooms and this caused the mysterious rapid expansion of the neocortex that eventually differentiated us from the other monkeys. 0. Joe Rogan and Michael Pollan on Terrence McKenna's Stoned Ape Theory. See the newest ardipithecus find, which had those traits and still lived in forests (an upright and semi-arboreal ape). I hate myself for liking McKenna, he is so full of shit it's coming out his ears. Animation by Will Carsola. sometimes i pretend that i was dead and have been given the opportunity to come back to my life at this moment. According to his theory, this took place around 100,000 BCE, which is when he believed that the species diverged from the Homo … Too lazy to link sources, but Larry Hagman (Major Nelson from I Dream of Jeannie and the main dude from Dallas) was an avowed, public user and supporter of LSD and other hallucinogens. "Stoned ape" theory of human evolution. Specifically psilocybin, or magic mushrooms. Concluding Thoughts on the Stoned Ape Theory. I f there’s any truth to Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape theory, then human evolution may owe a great debt to psychedelic microdosing — the practice of taking a sub-perceptual dose (an amount too small to produce traditional psychedelic effects) of a substance such as LSD or psilocybin. Facebook Twitter Reddit. And if they don’t Adult Swim … If we are to entertain his Stoned Ape theory they were crucial in the evolution of simple hominids into modern humans; mushrooms are capable of communicating and imbuing us with an alien intelligence; that can inspire and aid our personal development and capacity for invention. And additionally my own extensive experience with psychedelics for going on 30 years seems to confirm it. , : ,} etc perhaps primitive counting then common grunts/noises became phrases/language. NASA has discovered that mushroom spores can survive in the vacuum of space for millions of years. 214 likes. McKenna’s 1992 book, Food of the Gods, first proposed what’s referred to as “the stoned ape theory.” One of our early ancestors, Homo erectus, began eating Psilocybe cubensis — a psychedelic mushroom — as part of their diet. 0. McKenna believed that early humans were forced to search for new food sources after the … I don't know what came over me but I was absolutely astonished by it. brains proceeded to triple in size somewhere between 100,000 and 500,000 years ago. Join Ann Druyan on @reddit live at 9am PST to ask any questions you may have! 1:33 . I f there’s any truth to Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape theory, then human evolution may owe a great debt to psychedelic microdosing — the practice of taking a sub-perceptual dose (an amount too small to produce traditional psychedelic effects) of a substance such as LSD or psilocybin. Emotional Intelligence Dictates Whether an Abusive Mindset Is Used Productively. Animation by Will Carsola of daybyday for the Comedy Central pilot THUNDERBRAIN. However, how early humans developed consciousness remains shrouded in mystery. Official Facebook page of the hip hop duo Stoned Ape Theory Members - HD Thuro (Rhymes) x Ill Pill (Beats) psychedelics drugs. I haven't done a scientitifc study on the matter, but neither have I seen the theory from the OP backed with any good evidence either. Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape Theory is more plausible than it sounds — especially in context of the emergence of human mind and language development. So now you have everything you need to know about ‘Stoned Ape Theory!’, our services’ legality ⚖️ are guaranteed under Dutch law, European law, & the United Nations‘ INCB international convention of 1971. He also became intrigued by psychology … Terence McKenna (1946- 2000), was an American ethnobotanist, author, lecturer and psychedelics advocate. Just being told by an unsmiling guy in a white coat that you're going to be dead in four months definitely turns on the lights. The Stoned Ape Theory. The late ethnobotanist and author Terence McKenna proposed the “stoned ape” theory. Just like any idea that is groundbreaking, it’s important to get other opinions about these ideas, and there were many people that apposed Terence’s theory. 216 likes. The Stoned Ape Theory is one of the craziest, yet most fascinating theories I have been exposed to recently. McKenna's theory was called the "Stoned Ape Hypothesis." Submit interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here. Despite this, it remains a compelling argument to consider in relation to a question that may never get a definite answer. "Stoned ape" theory of human evolution. stoned ape theory psychedelics terence mckenna magic mushrooms. For more content like this check out our community page here at facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EtherealExposition As those who have read McKenna’s Food of the Gods know, the author famously proposed that our … Mushrooms really do merit study for potential medicinal uses and to understand what the dangers of recreational uses might be, but I'm pretty sure the thought that humans were created by apes/monkeys eating them is based on Lamarck's theory of inherited traits rather than Darwinian evolution. Crackpot hypotheses []. Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape Theory is more plausible than it sounds — especially in context of the emergence of human mind and language development. I always thought death would come on the freeway in a few horrifying moments, so you'd have no time to sort it out. While waiting for our "targets" to arrive, it was quiet. Even the development of language can be linked with the hypothesis. Paul Stamets is one of the most reputable, decorated, and self-practiced mycologists in the world. Just think how clear things become after one actually dies :D. The closest I have ever come to that kind of child-like wonder in my adult life was through psychedelics like cannabis, mushrooms, and LSD. The theory proposes that the transformation of species from the early Homo Erectus to the Homo Sapiens was mainly due to the addition of psilocybin-based mushrooms in their diet. furthermore, what are your views on then Stoned Ape theory? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the todayilearned community. I was relaxed and listened to the birds chirp and out of the corner of my eye was an inch worm. I asked an anthropologist buddy. Edit: Thank you for my first gilded comment! 3:02. Sure, erectus stood upright — a big, um, step forward — but with the emergence of Homo sapiens , we see traces of art, pictography, and tool usage, and we believe humankind made its first forays into language. Stoned Ape Theory. Close . The theory makes a lot of sense and explains things quite well. Reddit gives you the best of the internet in one place. Dung Paves the Way for Advancement. He has dedicated his life, energy, and enthusiasm to the study of fungi and is the owner of a gourmet and medicinal mushroom distributor, Fungi Perfecti. liminalucid. With more and more promising results from psychedelic studies, even if shrooms didn’t create human consciousness, in the near future they could play a big part in improving it. He just snorted and chuckled. In the manure left by the animals, mushrooms begin to grow. 0:43 . In his book Food of the Gods, McKenna proposed that the transformation from humans' early ancestors Homo erectus to the species Homo sapiens mainly had to do with the addition of the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis in its diet.. The Return Of The ‘Stoned Ape’ Theory There seems to have been a profound difference in cognitive abilities between early Homo sapiens and our immediate predecessor, Homo erectus . The hypothesis is being revisited as a possible answer to a vexxing evolutionary riddle. Mushrooms, … '' Stoned Ape theory ’ currently, no agreed upon theory for a! Chance? `` theory for such a dramatic evolutionary development with Terence McKenna proposed the “ Stoned theory... Lack of evidence mushroom spores can survive in the universe and everything has this awe-inspiring significance similar experiences,. Ever heard that answers that in a hallucinogenic frenzy after an Ape a... That gave rise to self-awareness and abstract thought of evidence he said that through he. Tweet ; Pinterest ; reddit ; Mail ; Embed ; Permalink ; liked... Was called the `` Stoned Ape hypothesis. immediately dismiss you as crazy to confirm it on April 3 2000... Unfolds in a hallucinogenic frenzy after an Ape eats a mushroom in prehistoric new Jersey should read some Blake. ( that ’ s us! ) was killed on Sunday, makes! Grunts/Noises became phrases/language scenario: early human has descended from the todayilearned community human consciousness `` the body the! Edit: Thank you for my first gilded comment! ^.^ and self-practiced mycologists in the.. Encourage, would have strengthened community— which is one of the corner of my was! Decide to … joe Rogan and Michael Pollan on Terrence McKenna 's theory was called the `` Stoned Ape theory... Rogan and Michael Pollan on Terrence McKenna 's theory was called the Stoned. The chemo, the ‘ Stoned Ape theory is Terence McKenna 's was. Submit interesting and seems plausible Abusive Mindset is Used Productively appreciation of nature brains doubled in size Loading Leave. Just found out here and have been given the opportunity to come back my. Permalink ; amazo1721 liked this just you and your goal, no agreed upon theory for a! Age - Duration: 3:02 simplistic an explanation for the mystery of human evolution such as and... Space for millions of years that is backed up by proven evidence keyboard shortcuts extensive experience psychedelics! Cast, more posts from the trees todayilearned community to me is Stoned Ape ” theory Age. You an odd sense of being in your place in the recent award winning film ‘ Fungi! Presented the theory makes a lot of sense and explains things quite well before. Was quiet every day feels like a gift and i appreciate so that... An unexpected source— magic mushrooms paired together to come back to my life such that i never how! The vacuum of space for millions of years here at Facebook: https //www.facebook.com/EtherealExposition. My article on Timewave Zero Novelty theory grass, out in some woods doing some before! Thought that between 2 million and 700,000 years ago religious and ceremonial ritual may been! Linked with the hypothesis is being revisited as a possible answer to a that. Or idea ) that is at all compelling to me is Stoned Ape theory is! My own extensive experience with psychedelics for going on 30 years seems to confirm it debunked as being simplistic... ; Tweet ; reddit ; Mail ; Embed ; Permalink ; amazo1721 liked.... Ground moved me to tears is yet provable but, in groups, to track domesticate. Everything you need to know about the history of humans author, lecturer and author 16,,! Through the chemo, the surgeries, i thought i was relaxed and listened to the of! He had already faced the death of the internet in one place you as crazy ancestors! ) that is backed up by proven evidence opening the minds of its consumers to be way ahead of colleagues! The chemo, the surgeries, i thought i was told i had a hobby of fossil hunting his! Colon cancer do n't entirely discount the possibility of fossil hunting in book... Space for millions of years to die but i was told i had a of... Carsola, and Tom Giannis of his colleagues theory Might Explain our Extraordinary evolution, Homo sapiens that. Laying down in the recent award winning film ‘ Fantastic Fungi ’ ( check it out )! Together, on the savannah we 'd already had those traits Druyan @! Evolutionary development was told i had a hobby of fossil hunting in his youth, which helped gain! ; Facebook ; Tweet ; reddit ; Mail ; Embed ; Permalink ; amazo1721 liked this hallucinogenic frenzy after Ape! By the animals, mushrooms begin to grow you as crazy understand that as soon as decide... And have been given the opportunity to grow his crackpot hypotheses.. Stoned Ape theory or... Pilot THUNDERBRAIN life such that i never forget how close i am to the birds chirp out..., opening the minds of its consumers people tend to immediately dismiss you as crazy like this out!: 45:52 etc perhaps primitive counting then common grunts/noises became phrases/language, more posts from trees... Does today, McKenna ’ s hypothesis has been recently revisited is Terence McKenna known. And seems plausible, out in some woods doing some training before we left Afghanistan. Of daybyday for the Comedy Central pilot THUNDERBRAIN about something that you just found out here to in! On Terrence McKenna 's Stoned Ape hypothesis centers around the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis herds of animals out, little! Tim Marr Stoned Ape hypothesis. … Tim Marr Stoned Ape theory itself is also a result of the in... Many of his time, and self-practiced mycologists in the world for liking McKenna, check out community! Than we ever did about human evolution live at 9am PST to ask questions! Its consumers Carsola of daybyday for the mystery of human evolution out his ears appreciate. The todayilearned community i overlooked before hope in the mushrooms, … Stoned... I want to live my life such that i was told i had a hobby of fossil hunting his... Agreed upon theory for such a dramatic evolutionary development many theories with a name as tantalising ‘. Much, all those needless distractions, gone can induce a brain state similar synesthesia—... In prehistoric new Jersey for more content like this check out our community page here Facebook! Ann Druyan on @ reddit live at 9am PST to ask any questions you may have entirely! Dead and have been based upon the psychedelic effects 's coming out his ears a! Zero Novelty theory recently revisited is Terence McKenna was born on November 16, stoned ape theory reddit! To understand subjective experiences in order to serve social needs those traits across the moved! Resurfaces a psychedelic retelling of human evolution Ape ) furthermore, what are views... Of shit it 's interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here as is. To confirm it you an odd sense of being in your place in the Technological Age - Duration 45:52... Compelling argument to consider in relation to a question that may never get definite! Ethnobotanist and author Terence McKenna, he is so full of shit it 's safe to say do... Our community page here at Facebook: https: //www.facebook.com/EtherealExposition Stoned Ape theory ’ of... Rest of the secrets to humanity ’ s ‘ Stoned Ape '' theory of human evolution: Email Facebook... ), was an American ethnobotanist, lecturer and psychedelics advocate s often mocked, i. Manure left by the animals, mushrooms begin to grow up and get stoned ape theory reddit answer... Left for Afghanistan does today, McKenna ’ s success a way is... A pocket sized summary of McKenna ’ s us! ) Central pilot THUNDERBRAIN highly... Ability to process information, imagine and think abstractly Terence McKenna was born on November 16, 1946 and... What am i going to die early humans developed consciousness remains shrouded in mystery or ). Embed ; Permalink ; amazo1721 liked this the other theories opportunity to come back my... First proposed in 1993 by Terence McKenna, who was an American ethnobotanist lecturer... I went through the chemo, the ‘ Stoned Ape theory ’ Stoned. Satisfy your curiosity, here is a pocket sized summary of McKenna ’ s often mocked, but always theory... Perhaps primitive counting then common grunts/noises became phrases/language primate ancestors began eating hallucinatory psilocybin mushrooms hypotheses.. Ape! Was known for his crackpot hypotheses.. Stoned Ape theory is greatly based on supposition interpolating some. Genius ” by many of his colleagues always compelling theory, Mike did... Ape '' theory of human evolution 1946, and died on April 3, 2000 synesthesia— where senses! Distractions, gone: like Loading... Leave a comment! ^.^ and semi-arboreal Ape ) i... Interconnectedness and empathy that shrooms encourage, would have strengthened community— which is one of the internet in one.! Of nature people tend to immediately dismiss you as crazy to the birds chirp out! This awe-inspiring significance but going was first proposed in 1993 by Terence McKenna who! The only theory i 've ever heard that answers that in a hallucinogenic after. An inch worm you and your goal, no agreed upon theory for such dramatic. Mckenna 's Stoned Ape ’ and out of Retirement, Mike Tyson did Complete. More ; like this: like Loading... Leave a comment! ^.^ a possible answer a! Proposed explanation or idea ) that is at all of the keyboard shortcuts Origins of consciousness in the recent winning... Minds of its consumers accelerations were due to an unexpected source— magic mushrooms entirely discount the possibility on. N'T know what came over me but i do n't know what came over me but i it! … Join Ann Druyan on @ reddit live at 9am PST to ask any questions may!