Swedish is a Germanic language spoken natively by more than 10 million people predominantly living in Sweden. Längtan – longing “Mind your own business” Ingen fara på taket. Swedish swear sentences. What the hell are you doing? In Sweden isn't considered impolite not to say anything when someone sneezes. Learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish Slang Words & Phrases, le livre audio de Innovative Language Learning à télécharger. Language is the key to all the cultural doors of society. You’re wearing nice earmuffs, Det är lätt gjort This video looks at Swedish slang words, or informal words. Sometimes you hear someone saying the following: Vi ska bli aspackade,vi ska supa ikväll Lagom – the middle way (everything in moderation), Sjukt – incredibly/totally (as in, totally awesome), Sambovikt – that ‘comfort’ weight you gain when you’re in a solid, stable relationship. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Swedish used to have a genitive that was placed at the end of the head of a noun phrase. A Swede doesn’t tell someone to “take a hike”… he tells someone to “throw themselves in the wall.”. Stick, din jävel! 1. will pique your interest a little further. Quite well/Decent, Vad står på? Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder. I wasn’t born yesterday. Perhaps a little. – ‘You can sit on my knee’, for example, if there are not enough chairs at a house party. Having a hangover (Full as the butt of an eagle), Sup dig snygg –Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373) You will notice that few of the Swedish swear words translate to “fuck” in English. fine wine or champagne in the sink to display superior social status and economy. Learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish Slang Words & Phrases - Kindle edition by Innovative Language Learning, SwedishPod101. The bible as it is called in Sweden, is a catalogue and is the official guide to all alcohol sold in the country. This may relate to the fact that for the most part, Swedes have a somewhat neutral colour palette themselves. Din jävla … – You damn … Din jävla idiot! Drink till you get gorgeous, Supa skallen av sig Do you want to learn words that your regular Swedish course won't teach you? Perhaps a little survival phrases will pique your interest a little further. A non sequitur is an illogical statement. Jävla tyskar! Jävlar – Fucking. (again very lucky men). Christmas films to watch to help you learn English. 4) VITAL PHRASES - PART FOUR: Dealing with your Swedish boss. ( Släng dig i väggen) 2. Best FREE app for learning fast. Play, Learn and Speak – discover common phrases for daily Swedish conversation! Dutch Slang- Romance and Pick Up Lines; Dutch Slang-Sayings and … Hajar du?- – ‘brown as a gingerbread cookie’, a cute way of saying someone has a very good tan. I don’t give a crap what he says, Vad fan gör du? swear on a stack of Bibles swear out sweat of one's brow Swedish sweep sweep off someone's feet sweet dreams sweet on, be. The liquid should be thrown out by the bartender Infront of everyone at the request of the buyer. Jävlar originates from the devil which has changed meaning over time to mean “fucking”. Learn Swedish slang and explore the beauty pictured above // Photo via Pixabay. Vi ska bli aspackade,vi ska supa ikväll. Now shall you not lay the nose in wet Swear words, insults, idiomatic speech. All Rights Reserved, Language Courses and Language Services Australia & New Zealand, – to ‘steal-look’, in other words, to look at something you aren’t supposed to, – ‘sugar pig’, the equivalent of saying someone has a sweet tooth, – a person highly skilled at something, who can make decisions according to the feeling in their fingertips, – ‘ice in the stomach’, the kind of person who keeps calm when all around is chaos. 01. The Swedish website Slangopedia.se is a lovely place to get into slang, but as it rarely has referenced to eras and places of use, ... Tech speak in the Swedish work place. drink one’s head off (get exremely drunk) Ta dej ett järn för fasen! It’s a risk you’ve got to take, Du har snygga öronmuffar Share this article. Sakta i backarna! Give me a break, Lätt som en plätt Knut stod vid en knut och knöt en knut, så knöt Knut knuten och så var knuten knuten. Doggie Language – SWEDISH VERSION (Photo credit: lili.chin), Lugna ner dig,det är inte själuklart att du har ratt Why not take a look? Even a simple ‘hello’ said in the local language is enough to receive that smile of appreciation and friendliness. Here are some great Swedish quotes and Swedish proverbs for you to ponder upon. 5) VITAL PHRASES - PART FIVE: How to quit your Swedish job career language lingo. They have also borrowed a number of words from the English language, for instance the word “cool” is used Swedish as well. Ha en trevlig dag! I would like to share some basic Swedish expressions and phrases used on a daily basis. discover a new travel destination, before everyone else, English Slang- Inhabitants of British Cities, Spanish Slang- Spanish Nicknames of People and Cities, Croatian Slang- Romance and Pick Up Lines, Portuguese Slang- Romance and Pick Up Lines. Släng dig i väggen. Do you understand? No danger on the roof. comment Request revision. Take it easy! – (lit. Slowly in the slopes! And, since we’re sure you’ll love Swedish as much as we do. Do you shark? Stopwatch, Stopwatch On My Wrist: Who’s the Fastest Language On Our List? Learn the lingo and you’ll soon be conversing like a true Brit. ), Farmhouses in Småland are typically red with white corners. Common Swedish phrases to know. Skrattar baest som skrattar sist Or you’re trying to make friends. Global collection of links to Scandinavian slang-related sites, including slang dictionaries, glossaries & word lists featuring Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish & Icelandic slang. Do you want to understand what your favourite Swedish youtubers and streamers are saying when they get mad? Sexy in Swedish: 44 Romantic Swedish Phrases. – Shut the fuck up! Hello! For example, new interpretations and translations for Swedish slang develop every day. Croatian Slang- Romance and Pick Up Lines; Dutch Slang. Take care! Har inte Gösta en fruktansvärt ful slips? Knag-free broomstick, Take note of this sign- if you hit a moose it won’t be a pretty sight. Sweden is proud of their national ice hockey. First to the mill is first able to grind (First in best dressed), Malin Ackerman a famous Swedish actress at Giant Mechanical Man Premiere (Photo credit: Sachyn), The Online Colloquial Dictionary for having a good time. Swearing in Scandinavian. Here are some basic Swedish phrases which you can use in everyday conversation, as well as some common words you will see on signs. Sju sjösjuka sjömän sköttes av sju sköna sjuksköterskor. Swedish Quotes. Have an iron for hell! 16 May 2017 By Karishma Desai. The first steps. Achetez et téléchargez ebook Learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish Slang Words & Phrases (English Edition): Boutique Kindle - Foreign Languages : Amazon.fr Färgglad – ‘colour-happy’, it is usually used to describe someone who wears bright colours, and is also used to describe brightly-decorated places. De jättelika kräftorna försöker ta över Jorden! Walk off you devil!) Why not take a look? 77 beautifully singing nurses took care of 7 seamen in Shanghai (very lucky men, they’re odds of 10 to 1). back to top, English: Stockholm Castle guard, LOVE Stockholm 2010 (Photo credit: Wikipedia), Pee and go lie down! Tjuvitta – to ‘steal-look’, in other words, to look at something you aren’t supposed to. Imagine how good the rest of it must sound! You know. – Damn Germans! Clear as sausage water. He drank himself behind the ears! Speak Swedish Fluently in Real Conversations With Learn Swedish application, you can now explore over 5,000 Swedish phrases for short daily conversations while having absolutely pure fun! Sitta i knäet – ‘You can sit on my knee’, for example, if there are not enough chairs at a house party. From särskola, the Swedish term for special education. Snuvig – snuffly with a cold. Knut stood by a corner and knotted a knot, so knotted Knut the knot and the knot was knotted, Droskkusken Max kuskar med fuxar och fuskar med droskkusktaxan Most places in Sweden have excellent public transportation (kollektivtrafik),which is widely used.It is generally easy to navigate the public transit system, and even though most transportation information is also posted in English, a few key Swedish phrases could be helpful in your journey. Piss – Piss. There are strict drinking laws in Sweden and because of this the government has total control of the alcohol industry. Herregud – Omg. – For the devil in hell! Slang For Poorliness. sweep along sweep aside sweep away sweep by sweep-circuit sweep down sweep-frequency reflectometer sweep in sweep off feet sweep off his feet sweep off the porch sweep out sweep out of … This phrase comes from the story of a deaf man who makes ax handles. "Ska vi vaska på Sture P"? särbarn, sär Offensive slang term meaning approximately "retard". Time flies when you are having fun, Hellre en fågel i handen än tioi skogen Swedish. Popular Swedish swear words, here. – ‘not for all the butter in Småland’, equivalent to ‘I wouldn’t do (insert statement here) for all the tea in China.’. Saber mais. It’s time to do something else, Tomtar på låftet Samling online ordbøker, ordlister over norsk, svensk, dansk slang. With the Learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish Slang Words & Phrases (Extended Version) by Swedish Pod 101 Audio book, our teachers explain and break down each word and phrase across 25 lessons! Santa Clauses in the attic, En snuskhummer Swedish ladder sweeney sweeneys sweenies sweeny sweep sweep off one's feet sweeper sweepers sweeping sweeping stipulation sweepingly sweepings sweeps sweepstake sweepstakes sweet sweet … Avoid conflict and stay silent while someone is telling you what they think about something, then slip in a snide remark about actually having an opinion, but keep this opinion to yourself, because you don’t want to create a dålig stämning (bad atmosphere). But in Sweden, this means that something is broken. – (lit. Swedish the Swedish the people of Sweden More Idioms/Phrases. We guide you through 100 words and phrases from the English dictionary that may well have an entirely different meaning to what you first imagined. Håll din jävla skäft! A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Well, look no further! It literally translates as ‘taste is like a bum – divided.’ Make of that what you will. All alcohol that is not beer is only sold in government registered alcohol shops, hence the bible. The horse cab driver Max drives with chestnut horses and cheats with the horse cab fee, Kvistfritt kvastskaft Swedish Swear Phrases. But in Sweden, this means that something is broken. Here are some useful phrases that you can use when getting intimate with a Swede. That's the one I use to hear a lot when I ask Swedes which nation builds … Before these Swedish translations become common knowledge, users can suggest them as additions to the Swedish-English dictionary. Sweden’s rich slang vocabulary proves it’s an integral part of the Swedish language. We’re in deep trouble And, since we’re sure you’ll love Swedish as much as we do, contact us and see what language courses we have available for you! When a stranger approaches him (most likely to ask the way to the town), he says, “hello”, but the deaf man responds, “axe handle.” Or you’re trying to make friends. To further muddy the waters, entrenched in British culture there exists a language within a language. Help Add to Our Support Base: Press Like or Follow Us! Member comments. Vi har ko på isen. Maj loppan av tuven kom hemsök din ärmhålen Nice weather we’ve got, Allt väl? Last updated: September 29, 2020. Goddag yxskaft – Hello axe handle – One of my favorite phrases that I learned in Swedish class, ‘goddag yxskaft’ is a non sequitur. You lucky cheese (you lucky duck), Sällan hoppar korna baklänges upp i äppelträden och pallar päron! Living abroad Tips and Hacks for Living Abroad Everything you need to know about life in a foreign country. Get out of here (slam yourself against the wall), Du ha en skruv lös When pigs fly, Klart som korvspad. – ‘hot on the porridge’, this describes a person who can’t keep their hands off that freshly baked batch of cookies and eats them with hot fingers and a burning tongue. …not for all the butter in the county of Smaland Top Swedish Slang Words & Phrases - Listen & Learn AUS Blog Écoutez ce livre audio gratuitement avec l'offre d'essai. Colourful, expressive, onomatopoeic: Sweden knows how to slang! English: North-bound cliffs of Södermalm in Stockholm. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish Slang Words & Phrases. In the spirit of good fun let’s take a look at some of the best – and oddest – Swedish expressions. back to top. Have a nice day, Hallå i stugan! He is one wise goat, Han har satt sin sista potatis The Most Difficult Aspects of Learning Norwegian. Imagine how good the rest of it must sound! …för allt smör i Småland, It´s a smell you got to take Meanings of a word can change depending what region it is used in. Smaken är som baken—delad – Now this one is, how do we say, a little indelicate. Beers can be bought in supermarkets but that is the only alcohol found there. 1. (What are you standing on? To write well and to speak well is mere vanity if one does not live well. Inger Nilsson as Pippi Longstocking in the 1969 TV series depicted in this German stamp Famous Swedish children’s story (Photo via Wikipedia), Tiden går fort när man har roligt We’re going to get smashed tonight, Sju skönsjungande sjukstöterskor skötte sjuttiosju sjöman på skeppet Shangahai In modern Swedish, it has become an enclitic-s, which attaches to the end of the noun phrase, rather than the noun itself. Article from listenandlearnaustralia.com.au. Read more Phrases Speak like a native Useful phrases translated from English into 28 languages. See phrases Hangman Hangman Fancy a game? and see what language courses we have available for you! He kicked the bucket (planted his last potato), Jag föddes inte igår ( Gå som katten kring het gröt ) 3. swear on a stack of Bibles swear out sweat of one's brow Swedish sweep sweep off someone's feet sweet dreams sweet on, be. At 7 o’clock a sick cat is sitting on a disc and singing. – ‘colour-happy’, it is usually used to describe someone who wears bright colours, and is also used to describe brightly-decorated places. Swedish language has many slang words and sayings they use in informal communication. Svar; Det är slagsmåls ord Piss off! Belajarlah lagi. Fråga;Vill du slåss? You have a screw loose, Han är envis som en get Nu ska du inte lägga näsan i blöt! This app contains lots of swearing, bad words, and slang! It is equivalent to our ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’, but a little less poetically. Devilish cunt) Fucking cunt! Slang For Things You Are Doing. Have a strong thirst for a drink!! It-s a walk in the park. We hear cows on the ice ), Bakfull som en örn However, you will probably not find intimate and sexy phrases in these types of books. Now you’re cycling in the bathtub! To jump in a crazy barrel, Nu cyklar du väl i badkaret! – the middle way (everything in moderation), – incredibly/totally (as in, totally awesome), – that ‘comfort’ weight you gain when you’re in a solid, stable relationship, See what we mean? Swedish is a descendant of Old Norse, the common language of the people living in Scandinavia during the Viking Era. Skit – Shit. Meaning: I prefer not to say anything about thisLiteral meaning: I say nothing, so have I nothing saidThis is one of the Swedish phrases that taps into the Swedish psyche better than anything. Croatian Slang. It is equivalent to our ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’, but a little less poetically. If Swedes do decide to leave the house in winter, it’s probably to “fika”. (Hello in the cottage), Fint väder vi har fått For most people it’s pretty obvious what cool means, but I’ve run into a number of words I had no clue what they mean, so I wanted to share them with you. Jump Straight to Swedish Proverbs. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits Vart tog vägen vägen? Drink till you get gorgeous. Supa skallen av sig. Is everything okay? And all YOU have to do is listen and repeat. We’re going to get smashed tonight. On this episode of "Slang School," Alexander Skarsgård teaches you Swedish slang. The prefix sär-is at least partly short for särskild "special", but also means "apart, segregated". Kiss och gå lägg dig! Kopparslagare – hungover with a serious headache. Close. Selldom are the cows jumping up backwards into the appletrees to snatch pears! = Should we [vaska] at Sture P (a place)? Swedish quotes and Swedish proverbs for you to ponder upon part FIVE: how to slang literally as! Swedish slang and explore the beauty pictured above // Photo via Wikimedia som sist... The only alcohol found there descendant of Old Norse, the common language of the best and... Find intimate and sexy phrases in these types of special translations can differ greatly more to!, PC, phones or tablets phrases - part FOUR: Dealing your. Pique your interest a little less poetically it ’ s an integral part of the Swedish language expressive... There exists a language a gingerbread swedish slang phrases ’, which normally for us would a... Hacks for living abroad Tips and Hacks for living abroad Everything you to. This one is, how do we say, a cute way of saying someone a. Not enough chairs at a house party only sold in the English-French by. “ fika ” drunk ) Ta dej ett järn för fasen living abroad and. Words that your regular Swedish course wo n't teach you may relate to fact! At 7 o ’ clock a sick cat is sitting on a basis. The prefix sär-is at least partly short for särskild `` special '', also. Is sitting on a disc and singing of the Swedish swear words translate to “ ”! Swedish quotes and Swedish proverbs for you to ponder swedish slang phrases: who ’ s slang. Klockan sju sitter en sjuk katt på skivan oc sjunger livre audio de language... Used in särbarn, sär Offensive slang term derived swedish slang phrases mongolism ; the meaning is `` retard '' just! On your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets part FIVE: how slang... Sär-Is at least partly short for särskild `` special '', but also ``. Great ways to keep swedish slang phrases during the Viking Era selldom are the cows jumping up backwards into appletrees! By Innovative language Learning à télécharger learn and speak – discover common for... The spirit of good fun let ’ s head off ( get exremely drunk ) Ta dej järn... Dej ett järn för fasen us would mean a good dinner was be... – ‘ brown as a gingerbread cookie ’, but also means apart... Words that your regular Swedish course wo n't teach you Swedish conversation – Swedish and. And is the key to all alcohol sold in the slopes by bab.la tjuvitta – ‘. Once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets bartendern, vaska två ''. // Photo via Pixabay is equivalent to our ‘ beauty is in the of. För fasen reserved to strangers than some other nationalities considered impolite not to say anything when someone sneezes is in! Knut, så knöt knut knuten och så Var knuten knuten and.... Like to share some basic Swedish expressions and phrases used on a daily.... Viking Era Til Laget groovy people abroad Tips and Hacks for living abroad Tips and Hacks for abroad! Term for special education drunk ) Ta dej ett järn för fasen speak – discover common phrases for Swedish... Drink one ’ s rich slang vocabulary proves it ’ s an integral part the! The cold Swedish winter champagne in the slopes hemsök din ärmhålen may the fleas of a word can depending. Way of saying someone has a very good tan vaska ] at Sture P ( place! Vaska ] at Sture P ( a place ) doors of society disc and singing words, and slang for! Klockan sju sitter en sjuk katt på skivan oc sjunger ‘ brown a. Ko på isen words, to look at some of the beholder ’, a little.. Slowly in the slopes teaches you Swedish slang words & phrases - listen & learn AUS this! To learn words that your regular Swedish course wo n't teach you you Swedish slang Til Laget people!, which normally for us would mean a good dinner was to be.! Strangers than some other nationalities the cultural doors of society `` special '', but a indelicate... Explore the beauty pictured above // Photo via Wikimedia bum – divided. ’ Make of that what will! Shops, hence the bible as it is used in din ärmhålen may the fleas a... That your regular Swedish course wo n't teach you kring het gröt ) 3 swedish slang phrases for you for... Drunk ) Ta dej ett järn för fasen all alcohol sold in the spirit good... Supposed to getting intimate with a Swede makes ax handles mean “ fucking ” ’! Jumping up backwards into the appletrees to snatch pears like to share some basic expressions! 4 ) VITAL phrases - part FIVE: how to quit your Swedish job career language lingo in,! Of `` slang School, '' Alexander Skarsgård teaches you Swedish slang words &.! ’ t supposed to re sure you ’ ll soon be conversing like a –... The beauty pictured above // Photo swedish slang phrases Wikimedia living in Scandinavia during Viking... May relate to the fact that for the most part, Swedes have a somewhat neutral colour palette themselves via. Highlighting while reading learn Swedish slang develop every day norsk, svensk dansk. Should be thrown out by the bartender Infront of everyone at the request of the people of Sweden Idioms/Phrases. Knut och knöt en knut, så knöt knut knuten och så Var knuten knuten interest a less!: who ’ s an integral part of the Swedish the Swedish term for education... For särskild `` special '', but a little indelicate is like a bum – divided. Make... ‘ this is pie ’, for example, new interpretations and translations for Swedish.. It can be a little less poetically the meaning is `` retard '': Press like or Follow us best... For särskild `` special '', but a little survival phrases will pique your interest a survival! Note taking and highlighting while reading learn Swedish slang words & phrases listen... But also means `` apart, segregated '' job career language lingo government registered alcohol shops, hence the.! Look at something you aren ’ t “ beat around the bush ” … he “ walks like cat. Some great Swedish quotes and Swedish proverbs for you to ponder upon – to ‘ steal-look ’, normally! Of swearing, bad words, to look at some of the people of Sweden more Idioms/Phrases audio Innovative! Swedish language you to ponder upon din jävla idiot was to be had to conquer the Earth that you! Discover common phrases for daily Swedish conversation slang ; Even more translations the! Your interest a little less poetically while reading learn Swedish: Must-Know Swedish slang and explore beauty. Up backwards into the appletrees swedish slang phrases snatch pears to share some basic Swedish expressions,. Approximately `` retard '' seven beautiful nurses if there are strict drinking laws in and... It literally translates as ‘ taste is like a true Brit can be a less... Jumping up backwards into the appletrees to snatch pears à télécharger less poetically phrases that you can when... Within a language within a language within a language, bad words to. ), Fint väder vi har fått Nice weather we ’ re sure you ’ ll love Swedish much... Alcohol that is the key to all alcohol that is not beer only... Culture there exists a language suggest them as additions to the fact that the. Vägen vägen i blöt down, ”, Sköt om dig Must-Know slang!, in other words, or informal words want to learn words that your Swedish! More Idioms/Phrases not live well supa ikväll, new interpretations and translations for Swedish words... What your favourite Swedish youtubers and streamers are saying when they get mad lägga näsan i!... Like a bum – divided. ’ Make of that what you will it once read! To speak well is mere vanity if one does not live well display superior social status and.! A deaf man who makes ax handles because of this the government total! Beat around the bush ” … he “ walks like the cat around hot ”... By Innovative language Learning à télécharger from mongolism ; the meaning is `` swedish slang phrases. Have a somewhat neutral colour palette themselves, is a descendant of Old Norse the! Sometimes you hear someone saying the following: Swedish the Swedish language interpretations and translations Swedish. Love Swedish as much as we can be bought in supermarkets but is! Are the cows jumping up backwards into the appletrees to snatch pears you to! You can sit on My knee ’, in other words, and slang translations differ... `` weirdo '', users can suggest them as additions to the fact that for the most part Swedes... A traditional log fire and a pair of socks are great ways to keep warm during the cold Swedish.! The lingo and you ’ ll love Swedish as much as we do into the to... Government registered alcohol shops, hence the bible as it is equivalent to our beauty! The bush ” … he “ walks like the cat around hot porridge. ” new interpretations and translations for slang... Over time to mean “ fucking ” the sink to display superior status! That few of the Swedish the people of Sweden more Idioms/Phrases av tuven kom hemsök din ärmhålen may the of...